Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Behind the Scenes

A while back, I heard something. I know I heard. I didn't really understand, but I'm kind of used to that. I do sometimes wonder why God would give a word to act on that is not understood. My kids say, "Hello?! So you can trust and obey!!" Amen to that. I had been hearing and resisting for quite some time - knowing that eventually and inevitably, change was coming. Awareness is one thing...action is another. A significant attack came and distracted me - actually disoriented would be a better word. Following that, I decided it was time to act and do something. My decision didn't go over very well. Maybe I heard wrong. I was encouraged to wait and regroup. What did I really hear? I was so confused!

One thing about waiting...as frustrating as it seems sometimes, is that things do eventually clear up (usually after I quit resisting and decide to comply). I have spent much of my Christian life waiting, waiting, and waiting. Just about the time I start to understand, I find that there is more to be understood...and so, I wait some more. The wait isn't an idle wait...it is an active wait - seeking, finding, and receiving. Waiting can be exciting...as what God has in store usually isn't a bore.

It wasn't long before I sensed Him calling me to a new level...my spirit was willing and you would think my flesh was weak...but actually, it was so ready that there wasn't much of an argument. My tears made a river as I worshiped and submitted to Him and His plans once again. What plans? Forgive. Love. He never changes. About a week later, I received a challenge...to be open and pray and let God have His way.

So, time has passed. Several significant things have happened. On the outside, you'd never know...but God knows...and advancing His Kingdom isn't always visible. What some may perceive as going backwards may actually be a launch forward - and maybe not for you...but you may play a part in launching someone else. If God takes you back, He has a reason and it will make a difference - for the good. In all things He works for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. I used to question - as it is hard to 'see' what He sees when all you 'see' seems minute and minuscule compared to success in the real world. You don't have to be front and center to make a difference. Thank God! A lot of important work is done behind the scenes. There isn't anything wrong with front and center; I'm just relieved it isn't always necessary for success. Wife and mom are both behind the scenes roles. Praying and encouraging are as well.


"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Matthew 18:19-20


Interestingly, those verses are surrounded in a passage about offenses and forgiveness.


The other day, we were watching Joseph Prince and he was talking about Jonathan and his armor bearer. It occurred to me that to be an armor bearer is a great honor. When Jonathan laid out his plan, his armor bearer supported him completely! What a friend. He had courage and he honored his master. When Jonathan knew the Lord would be with them and they went up, the two of them defeated 20 men over about 1/2 an acre. The rest panicked and fled. The Lord saved Israel that day.


It should be noted that Jonathan understood it was the Lord who gave him victory. He was in obedience to the Lord's leading. His father, King Saul kept taking credit and doing his own thing. Saul was not completely obedient to the Lord. He lost his position for that reason. A boy named David gained. God does not see as we do...the outward appearance...He sees our hearts - and David had a heart after God's. When God sent Samuel to anoint another king, David was the last to be called...the youngest...a little shepherd boy. After he was anointed, the Spirit of the Lord was upon him. While he was hidden away, taking care of sheep, he was worshiping his Lord and King - and experiencing favor and supernatural strength. When King Saul was in need of peace, it was David who was brought before him. The bible that says Saul loved him greatly and he became his armor bearer. Wow! He remained front and center for a while...playing for Saul when he needed peace. Sometime after, he went back to shepherding, seemingly hidden away again. When his father sent him to the battlefield to take food to his brothers, he heard Goliath and went up against him in the name of the Lord...and defeated him! He was front and center again...and remained so for some time. Although he was in danger quite often due to Saul's jealousy, God was with him and protected him. The bible says over and over that David behaved wisely. He was well respected.


His heart was in tune with God - in love and obedience.  Back to that...lol


I know God has great plans for my life. I'm thankful for the encouragements He gives me to be content in the roles that He has me in. I wait expectantly to see answers to all kinds of prayers and I know His timing is impeccable - always. 



Jonathan and David both understood a very important truth. It is GOD who gives us the victory. He gives us tools to use, but most of the time, they are smaller than what seems necessary and sometimes wouldn't be recognized as tools...like praise and prayer. God was always leading His people in victory in much smaller numbers than their adversaries. It is the same today. Make sure that your trust is in God alone. It matters. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment