Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mama-Bear Woke Up

Or, I guess it could be said that the lioness arose.

The boys came in tonight all upset because of some things that had been said to them at the skatepark.  At first, I just listened and smiled - until I saw tears beneath their anger - somebody had crossed the line.  The boys were fighting mad, but walked away.  For that, I am thankful.  To top everything off, Braylon's scooter had gotten jammed up.  It soon became clear that the perpetrator should be glad that I hadn't been there...  It was time to get my shoes on, grab a jacket, and go be an advocate.  Darrell had been there, but he doesn't go 'in' with them.  That bothers me, and he knows it - but - that's how it is.  As he examined the scooter, he made mention that he couldn't have said anything anyway...to which I asked if he wanted to come along and see how it is done?!  There is where my mistake would have been.  Since this is print...I was not trying to be disrespectful.  It was a genuine question.  Of course he didn't come and that is fine - it probably would have been too much if he had.  One bear was enough... 

All of the boys were coming with me...so, I told them that the first one who said a word without being asked, was going to be in BIG trouble!  (They were really mad and mouthy!!!)  I explained that I was going to be nice first and find out what I needed to know - and that even if it seemed like I wasn't taking care of the issue, not to worry...I would.  It all turned out smooth - thank the LORD.  As we walked in, the boy was coming up out of the bowl and I asked if I could talk to him for a minute...to which he replied, "Sure."  We had our little talk, in which I was very open and firm - and he was very respectful in return.  (Even with other kids coming up to see what was going on - and an adult asking me to move off of his block - this kid maintained eye contact and didn't fall for distractions.)  After I told him that Jesus loved him and had good plans for him, he immediately apologized to the boys.  They then had the opportunity to do the same.  I finished out stating that I wasn't what he had said, and he wasn't what they had said...which brought a little smile.  I introduced us all by name and asked if they would be friends the next time they all saw each other.  All agreed.  Hopefully, that's how it will be.  I told him thank you for talking with us and we left.

I don't get in the boys' business often.  (although, they do call in back-up from their big brothers every now and then)  They are pretty good at working things out with their friends - and at ignoring all of the nonsense from the skatepark.  I don't know that I could go and take in all of the stuff that they do and stay neutral as well as they do.  That place is a bad place to hang out.  It's sad.  Even when I'm there and go in with them, there is way too much nonsense - and we don't go at peak times.  I can't believe I went up there at night - that is NOT in me.  But, tonight they needed somebody to do something about what had happened.  So, I did.  I thank God for preparing the way, giving me boldness, courage, and peace too!  I pray there are no bad repercussions for the boys...kids are cruel.  I'm hoping that as respectful as this boy was, there won't be.  It was a very calm confrontation.

After all of that...  Darrell and I had a very nice talk in front of the fire - and after we were done, he read to us from the Bible.  He has been reading 2 chapters a night and decided that instead of reading to himself in the bedroom, he would come out and read to all of us.  It was nice - and going forward should be a nightly tradition in our family - his idea!  I'm excited.  

***

Earlier today, Abigail and Alivia were over for a few hours.  Alivia had some apples & cherries babyfood, 2 bottles, a little nap, and lots of attention.  Abigail played with ABC, 123, and shapes puzzles, colored in her Curious George coloring book, and won 3 out of 4 games of Hi-Ho-Cherry-O.  Brenton won the other one.

I took pictures, but haven't had a chance to load them up yet... 

No comments:

Post a Comment